New Zealand map Davis Ogilvie – Engineering, Surveying and Planning

Structural Engineering

Structural engineers ensure that buildings are strong and stable enough to handle appropriate structural loads, including assessing the materials used to build them, to make sure that they are safe for the people occupying them.

Our structural engineers have experience working on a wide range of projects. We work together with other professionals on projects ranging from a single beam for house alterations, high-end residential houses, commercial structures and seismic assessment of existing buildings.

We are experienced in providing the following services:

  • Design of timber, cross laminated timber (CLT), steel, masonry and concrete structures
  • Design of foundation systems for TC1, TC2, TC3 and mass movement sites
  • Design of commercial and industrial buildings, including portal frame and tilt panel construction
  • Design of structural members within architectural houses on flat and sloping sites
  • Insurance and pre-purchase reports, to confirm the structural condition of residential, commercial and industrial buildings
  • Initial and Detailed Seismic Assessments (ISA or DSA) to determine the seismic strength in terms of a percentage of New Building Standard (%NBS)
  • Design of structural seismic strengthening to buildings
  • Damage reports and remedial works design for domestic, commercial and industry buildings
  • Design of retaining wall structures
  • Construction monitoring and project management

Structural Engineering FAQs

Why do you need a Structural Engineer?

Our structural engineers assist in determining any damage to your home or commercial building and make recommendations on how to best repair any damage found. We can also provide structural designs for new buildings, alterations to existing structures and damage repairs.



What do we need from you for your structural project?

To enable us to provide the appropriate designs, we need architectural plans for the proposed building or alterations, geotechnical reports (DO can also provide this if required) and a scope of work to describe what you need us to complete.

When preparing for a structural inspection or damage assessment, we need you to provide us with any previous structural engineering reports, EQC or insurer’s scope of works and geotechnical reports you have. Any existing plans of the house or council property file information is also useful for us to see.

Do you carry out earthquake damage assessments?

Yes, we have completed numerous assessments for homeowners, insurers and EQC.  Work includes inspections, reporting, peer review, preparing expert evidence and attending mediation, facilitations and court trials.

What sort of residential Structural Engineering do you carry out?

In addition to structural inspections, our structural team carries out a full range of design for residential work, including new build, house alterations and removal of internal walls.

Do you carry out Detailed Engineering Evaluation (DEE) assessments on commercial buildings?

Yes, our structural engineers are able to complete both Initial Seismic Assessments (ISAs) and Detailed Seismic Assessments (DSAs) on low rise commercial properties.

What regions of New Zealand do DO’s Structural Engineers work in?

We have structural engineers in our Christchurch and Nelson offices, and can undertake work over most of the South Island. We also have staff in Greymouth and Timaru that assist with projects on the West Coast and in the central South Island.



Alastair Wood

Technical Director, Structural Engineer
029 772 0171

Greg Clark

Technical Director, Structural Engineer
021 255 2287